Saturday, 25 October 2008

Saturday 25th October 2008 Pt II

Greenwood Meadows 3-3 Holwell Sports -- EMCL

With Kev busy with other things, I was on my own again...

I left home early thinking I'd get caught up in the traffic headed for the City Ground - but I'd reached the Queens Medical Centre by half-two, so decided to risk nipping to Castle Marina McDonalds for a burger. I still arrived at Lenton Lane with 10 minutes to go before kick-off, so stayed in the car to see off my 1/4 pounder with cheese -- went down a treat....

In blustery and wet conditions, it was always going to be difficult for the players to express themselves, or so I thought !! Holwell started out as though it was a calm, sunny day and after some slick passing, they were in front in just the second minute. Neat play down the left, and when the ball was played into the area, Keightley in the no. 7 shirt was on hand to fire past Scott Clay in the home goal - the ball rolling just inside the far post.

The home team had a great chance to level on 5, but Mark White heading over from close range. Another chance fell to Meadows no. 10 shirt, but the Richard Gordon in the Holwell goal made a fine stop.

Holwell had three efforts in as many minutes, two safely gathered by Clay and one well wide.

On 21, Holwell doubled their lead, a magnificent ball in from the right headed over Clay by Bitmead who out-jumped all the Greenwood defenders.

The Referee was in the picky, petty mould, and it wasn't long before players and spectators alike were getting fed up of hearing his whistle....the players were trying really hard to master the conditions, and the constant breaks in the game did little to help.

Meadows halved their defecit on 35, an Ashley Whitt corner from the right headed powerfully home at the far stick by centre-back Mark White. H-T 1-2

I spent the 1st half under cover - but I have to say that all the spectators who also chose to stay out of the rain were smokers! I was on my own to begin with then all these smokers came and decided to stand near me -- cough, cough ......

Went for a wander around the ground during the interval, a desperate attempt to get some fresh air into my smoke filled lungs -- cough, cough ...

Took a few pics of the surroundings - a bit of a mixture of trees and industry - as well as the pylons and A453 -- quite a surreal setting. Dunkirk's ground is 100 yards away on one side of the ground, while Pelican play just up the road. Lenton Lane is also home to a golf course / driving range -- sport a-plenty in the heart of industrial Nottingham.....

The second half never really got going, and although the home team battled hard to try and level, they went further behind on 79, a penalty converted by Andy Teare after a foul was spotted by Referee Mr.Booker.

Andy Teare (no.2) wheels away after netting from the spot

Holwell seemed to think that the game was won, and Meadows took advantage of some slack defending in the 82nd minute when Nathan Robinson rolled the ball past the keeper to make it 2-3. As the game entered it's first minute of stoppage time, Greenwood played the ball down the left and the subsequent cross was nodded on by White to Adam Jackson who fired home from 18 yards... F-T 3-3

Admission £4.00
Programme £1.00
Attendance 41

More images from Lenton Lane

Great fightback by the home team who could have let their heads drop after losing their last three games - and Holwell have to be kicking thenselves for letting Meadows grab a point so late in the game. I really enjoyed the game and am quite sure that Lenton Lane will be visited again quite soon.

Tuesday - Forest Town v Radcliffe Olympic or Mansfield Tn v York City or Eastwood Tn v Wrexham - fantastic effort by the Badgers to get a draw at the Racecourse..

No comments: