Saturday, 1 November 2008

Saturday 1st November 2008

Borrowash Victoria 4-0 Bardon Hill Sports

Visited the Robinson Construction Bowl to see Borrowash Victoria take on Bardon Hill Sports.

Vics transferred to the EMCL from NCEL Divison One, while Bardon Hill made the move from the Leicestershire Senior League.

We were expecting a comfortable home win - unbeaten Borrowash sitting on top of the table, while Bardon are struggling a little near the bottom.

Had a walk around the pitch before kick off - well, we got 3/4 of the way round before realising that the area where the changing rooms and dugouts are situated is blocked off ! We waited where we were while the teams observed a minutes silence in memory of Graham St Prims' commercial manger who passed away last week.

We then retraced our steps and took up a position opposite the dugouts, noticing the old-fashioned square goal-posts - something not seen very often nowadays!!

Borrowash started the game with giant striker Channon North paired up front with the prolific Rob Spencer, and it took just 11 minutes for the combination to provide the games opening goal. The visiting keeper made a contribution though, fluffing his goal-kick. The ball travelled only about 25 yards before North latched on to it and played it across to Spencer who drove home from 12 yards.

Tom Betteridge tried his luck from 20 yards in the 21st minute, and the keeper did well to turn the effort away for a corner. James Pawley’s kick was nodded down and across the goal by Andrew Mottishead, who watched in delight as the ball crossed the line to double the home teams lead.

Bardon won their first corner on 31, but nothing came from it and when the ball was cleared, Tom Leighton crossed from the left finding Pawley who drove the ball goalwards. The keeper did well to block the initial shot, but the ball went straight back to Pawley who made no mistake at the second time of asking, hammering the ball home from 16 yards.

Just before the break, Leighton added the Vics’ fourth, a cross from the left fired into the top corner from 12 yards.

The Bardon keeper made 3-4 great saves during the half, but his defence was a little lacking in skill, and the score could have been 8 or 9 at the break. As it was Borrowash went in 4-0 to the good.

Kev bought the drinks, and was unimpressed with his tea – but my coffee was just what I needed to ensure I stayed awake for the 20/20 cricket tonight! Oh boy, was it strong!!

Sorry to say that there was absolutely nothing to write about in the second half as far as the football was concerned. There were two highlights, but surely the young lady should have had them covered up! Showing that much of your chest in the cold and damp must be bad for the health,
but it cheered me and Kev up no-end and helped to brighten up a really dull second half. F-T 4-0

More images

Tuesday sees us off to Calverton MW take on Mark Nangle’s Southwell City

No comments: