Saturday, 28 March 2009

Saturday 28th March 2009

Dunkirk 0-0 Gedling Town -- EMCL

I know it was cold, but ......

We haven't been to many goal-less games this season, but I suppose when the team in 3rd place plays the team in 4th it could have been forecast - and added to this the conditions were awful. Still, not the worst 0-0 we have seen.......

Pulling the bar down is one way to ensure it stays 0-0

We stood with Gedling Town Chairman Roland Ash for the first half-hour of the game - what pleasant company to be in. Genuine nice person, and his knowledge the game and of the players in the local non-league scene is nothing short of amazing. What he doesn't know probably isn't worth knowing.

Not too much to write about - the only decent chances coming late on. First, home keeper Wheater-Lowe made an error, and after making amends by blocking the resultant shot, watched with some relief as Gedling striker Eugene Francis fired the loose ball over the bar from about 8 yards out.

Then, as the ball was played up the field, Dunkirk's Theo Smith saw his effort cannon off the foot of the post. Finally, Neil Thompson tried his luck from long range, forcing James Mason in the visitors' goal to tip over. H-T 0-0

Into the second half, and Gedling looked dangerous early doors, winning a series of free-kicks. However, nothing came of any of the set pieces. They did have an effort cleared off the line in the 52nd minute, but with Dwaine Soar in superb form marshalling the home defence, keeper Wheater-Lowe was rarely troubled. It has to be said that Mason in the other goal was also not over-worked!!

Gedling's Aaron Ryan and Dunkirk's Theo Smith, Andy Frawley and Dwaine Soar all saw yellow as the half wore on.

Rob Gill was superbly played in by Ryan Johnson on 67, but the visiting striker fired just over. As the game drew to a close, Dunkrik had the best chance of the game - but Jarrod Westcarr (I think) fluffed his effort in front of goal, bringing a groan from the home supporters.

During a challenge, one of the home defenders took an accidental blow to the mouth, bringing blood. The Referee, quite rightly, asked him to leave the pitch. This prompted one of the substitutes, who was behind the perimeter rail, to berate him very loudly. Something along the lines of " he only has to leave the field if he's got blood on his shirt" and "the fans are here to watch the game, not you !" The Referee sent him off - straight red, and well deserved... respect, my a**e !! F-T 0-0

Weather-wise, it was a bad afternoon - cold, wet and windy. Well done to the players for providing a good game in the testing conditions. 90 minutes spent with a runny nose and watering eyes AGAIN, and the warm spell that has been forecast will be more than welcome!!

Images from the game

Admission £4

Programme £1

Tea/coffee -- to far to walk !!

Attendance at the start was head-count at 36 - must have been a few late-comers as the official attendance was 74...

Off to the last Notts F.A. Senior Cup 1/4 final on Tusday -- Rainworth MW v Eastwood Town. With Rainworth seeking promotion from NCEL1 and Eastwood struggling to keep their place at the top of the UniBond Premier division, you wonder what the line-ups will be....probably not their strongest...

A home semi-final against Carlton Town awaits the winners.

No comments: