Friday, 26 September 2008

Friday 26th September 2008

Dunkirk FC v Heanor Town FC -- EMCL

With Kev missing out on a Saturday game this week, the fact that Dunkirk were playing on Friday night was just too good an opportunity to miss. Apparently, the Dunkirk manager has a big 40th birthday party to go to, so the game was brought forward - it also proved a good move gate-wise. Over 120 present for this EMCL fixture...

Not seen Dunkirk since their CML cup final win at the end of last season - we were at Heanor a couple of weeks ago - and the Derbyshire team looked fairly ordinary.

Theo Smith started on the right wing for the Boatmen, and his cross in the 4th minute should have been converted by Aaron Brady, but the no. 9 missed the ball completely and it was forced out for a corner. We saw an inventive free-kick from the home team seconds later - the ball driven low through the wall to Brady who turned and finished well - the effort though was ruled out as Brady was a foot or two offside.

There was some neat play by both teams as the game settled down - though it took a great save from Heanor keeper James Belshaw on 30, to keep the scores level. Again the dangerous Brady broke through, and one-on-one with Belshaw maybe should have scored - but a great block by the keeper foiled the striker.

H-T 0-0

Dunkirk opened the scoring just 7 minutes into the second half. Theo Smith nut-megged Robbie Mawer, chased the ball to the by-line and crossed. The player immediately let out a groan that said he wasn't happy, but his groans turned to cheers when Juraj Senko appeared from nowhere at the back post to dive and head home. No matter what Smith may have thought, the ball in was a belter, but the defending left a lot to be desired!!

Smith scored Dunkirk's second goal after a terrible defensive error by the Heanor left-back. The ball just needed hoofing out of the corner, but the fulll-back tried to be clever and fluffed his kick. The ball went straight to Brady who fed Smith some 12 yards out. The winger controlled, turned and smashed the ball past Belshaw - the keeper once again let down by some inept defending.

After Smith had scored his goal, he disappeared onto the left wing and into relative obscurity - maybe the Dunkrik management wanted to hide him from the watching Hucknall Town manager Mick Gallaway - who knows!!!

With 10 to go, Heanor caused a few hearts to flutter. Graham Wells hit a speculative shot from miles out, and we all thought it was travelling harmlessly out for a goal-kick - it actually clipped the inside of the post and nestled in the back of the net ... no-one actually thought the ball had gone in and no-one was more surprised than Wells - except maybe Dunkirk keeper Wheater-Lowe!!

Finger biting time for the Dunkirk faithful, but their team held on to claim all three points. F-T 2-1

Heanor were a lot better than the last time we saw them, but if they keep defending as poorly as this, they will find the EMCL a difficult place in which to reside...

Saturday : Gedling Tn v Hinckley Downes EMCL again....

No comments: