Saturday, 27 September 2008

Saturday 27th September 2008

Gedling Town v Hinckley Downes -- EMCL

It's nice to have an afternoon down by the Riverside..the sun blazing down, the geese enjoying their feed, and an another EMCL game to look forward to..

Down by the riverside !!

A minutes silence was very well observed prior to kick off - RIP Jimmy Sirrell

The teams did their utmost to ruin the afternoon though, serving up nothing of interest in the first 30 minutes or so. The highlight of the first half-hour was seeing one of the Gedling Management team being escorted from the pitch by Referee Mr. Smith....mind you, Mr. Smith had been subjected to a torrent of verbal from this particular person .... respect? Not on this occasion.....

On 33, we were treated to a goal out of nowhere - Hinckley left-back Chris Bradshaw popped the ball forward from just inside the Gedling half, and looked on in amazement as it arched its way over Gedling keeper Dave Wardle and nestled in the back of the net. The linesman I'd been having a natter with reckoned that with the angle, the ball must have travelled 60 yards, but my guess is about 45 yards....

The goal shook up Gedling a little and they came out of their shell and began stroking the ball about nicely. They were level right on half-time .. After some more great attacking football, the ball fell at the feet of Aaron Large who calmly fired home from 12 yards. H-T 1-1

Hickley's Luke Bradshaw and Gedling's 2-goal hero Aaron Large

Decided to try a hot dog from the tea-bar ... very nice it was too, and only £0.80p ... probably the cheapest you will find anywhere.

Hinckley regained the lead 10 minutes after the restart - again a somewhat lucky goal -- this time Colum Nugent punted the ball goalwards - the flight deceived Wardle who could only stand and watch as the ball sailed over his head into the net.

Gedling poured forward as they strived to level, but it seemed it was not to be their afternoon, especially when, after great combination play between Gill and Large, Spiers looked certain to score - no luck - his shot flicked off the ground and hit the bar before going safe.

Rob Gill was taking the corners from the right for Gedling, and two of these set-pieces lead to goals. The space between the corner flag and the perimeter fence is only about 5ft, but the big centre-forwards 78th minute kick found Large in the 6 yard box and the ball was bundled home. Two minutes later, another Gill corner was met by the head of substitute Ben Allison (one of the smallest players on the pitch), and he rose like a salmon to power the ball home.

The winner !! Allison powers home Gill's corner

A great fightback by the home team, but in reality, Hinckley offered very little, and apart from the two goals, rarely troubled Wardle. F-T 3-2

Tuesday - Arnold Town v Parkgate at GMW..

No comments: