Monday, 4 May 2009

Monday 4th May 2009

Westella & Willerby 0-2 Sutton Town AFC -- CML League Challenge Cup final

Sutton boss Danny Bryant

Played at the Impact Arena, home of Alfreton Town FC. Looks a bit tatty nowadays - could really do with a bit of TLC, but the pitch was not too bad to say there had been a match on it just 24 hours previously.

Not too many present, but other Bank Holiday attractions included the Womens FA cup final at Pride Park, and the NCEL cup final at Staveley.

We stood behind the goal again! Although this time it was by choice - you get a great view from the terracing behind the far goal. And there was plenty of room!!

Kev looking for someone to talk to!!

The National Anthem was played as the teams lined up to be presented to League and sponsor officials - and I had to admit that out of all the "music" served up pre-match, this was the only song I knew!!!

A well observed minutes silence was held in memory of Clipstone Welfare Secretary Mr. Rick Morris who sadly passed away on Saturday.

Westella were an unknown quantity to both myself and Kev, but the East Riding outfit are striving for a top three finish in the CML Premier Division having lost only three out of 26 league games played so far this season.

'Ella created the games first real chance in the 10th minute - a shot from left winger Andy Coverdale taking a deflection onto the far post with Sutton keeper Mark Frost well beaten.

Sutton replied two minutes later when Richard Guest nodded a Gaz Davey free-kick onto the bar. A series of corners were won halfway through the first period as the Snipes tried to impose themselves on the game, but some of their tackles were a bit strong for Referee Andy Wood and he booked Sutton's Pete Stubley and Richard Guest for poor challenges.

Stubley played Daniel O'Donnell on 43, but 'Ella keeper Liam Taylor blocked well. Taylor also made a great stop seconds later after Steve Bayliss met Kyle Ludlow's corner at the far post. H-T 0-0

Had a walk around to the tea bar during the break, but after queuing for a cuppa for 5 minutes with the line not moving at all, we gave up and made our way back to the terracing.

Westella started the second half well enough, forcing a couple of saves from Frost, but they went behind in the 64th minute. O'Donnell made a super run through the midfield before laying the ball into the path of PETER STUBLEY who made no mistake slotting past Taylor - he was then mobbed by his team-mates.....


'Ella skipper Lee Jackson was booked soon after for a reckless challenge on Stubley, probably the last thing the striker needed after being squished!! Stubley almost doubled the Snipes' lead on 74, turning well before firing just wide.
Sutton made the game safe with three minutes to go. Stubley jinked his way into the box and when three Westella defenders appeared to bring him down, Mr. Wood awarded Sutton a spot-kick. A bit soft really, but LUKE SHIELS wasn't bothered - and he stepped up and fired wide of Taylor's despairing dive.

Luke Shiels wheels away after netting from the spot

Cue another crushing, but this time Manager Danny Bryant was on the receiving end!!


After three minutes of added time, Mr. Wood brought proceedings to an end - F-T 0-2

Not bad entertainment, and although Westella gave a good performance, Sutton had just that little bit extra and ended up deserving winners.

Admission £4

Attendance -- no idea... could have been 150 ish?

Programme - £1

Wednesday -- Badgers v Badgers at Meadow Lane

No comments: