Saturday, 16 May 2009

Saturday 16th May 2009

Kimberley Town 2-8 Forest Town -- CML Supreme Division

Forest Town knew victory in this game would see them claim runners-up spot in the Division. However, Kimberley are a bit of an enigma this season -- and if they stopped their high-flying visitors from gaining all three points, a win at Yorkshire Main for Calverton would see them finish in second spot.

We arrived at the Stag Ground just as the teams were taking to the pitch - unusual for us to cut it so fine, but we'd been watching the Man U v Arsenal game. We only live 10 minutes from the ground, so we weren't worried about missing the kick off!! The carpark was full, but there was a plum space right next to the entrance - for some reason this had been left vacant, and left us with a two yard walk into the ground !!

Once inside, we met up with Steve Davies - he had his grandson in tow. He is two years old and already kicks the ball like a good 'un!

After complimenting "Kimberley" Danny on the condition of the pitch, we caught up with Brian Dennett - then had a chat to old friend Fred Kirk. Fred was physio at Eastwood Town for a few years, but spent last season at Hucknall Town - he has now left the Watnall Road club and has set up his own sports injury clinic.

Kimberley began the game brightly enough, more than competing with their illustrious visitors - until the 9th minute that is, when they conceded a penalty. CRAIG JACKSON converted the kick although keeper Mike Oxborrow did get a hand to the ball, but not enought to divert it from goal.

Craig Jackson scores from the spot

Three minutes later LEWIS CROUCHER was left unmarked on the far post and he slid the ball home from close range.

We had to wait until the 28th minute for the third Forest Town goal - and keeper Oxborrow has to hold up his hands for this one. The youngster failed to hold onto a drive from the edge of the box, and CROUCHER was on hand to stroke home the loose ball.

The fourth goal was a beaut - a fine solo run from JACKSON that was topped off with a delightful chip over Oxborrow. H-T 0-4

Didn't bother with a beverage at the break - just nipped into the hut to check out the half-times on the telly, then back out into the very changeable weather. Blazing sunshine, then howling winds, then showers. Not very good weather for mid-May.

Forest Town were stunned when NATHAN RYAN fired a speculative shot over Johnson and into the net just after the restart.

Nathan Ryan's effort stunned everyone into silence!!

They were even more stunned when RYAN's shot across Johnson hit the far post and ended up in the back of the net. 2-4 .. game on? Not really, because another penalty converted by JACKSON on 53 calmed the Foggo nerves a little. That strike was our 350th goal of the season....

Craig Jackson on the spot again

orest Town had two efforts crash off the woodwork and Oxborrow made one outstanding save, but another goal looked inevitable and when CROUCHER tapped in on 78 you had to wonder how many more the visitors would get. As it was, they scored twice more - one was another penalty, this time ADEY HALL converting, the other another close range effort from MARK CARTER. F-T 2-8

Adie Hall sends Oxborrow the wrong way

Hat-trick duo Craig Jackson (9) and Lewis Croucher (11)

Forest Town players received their Runners-up shields after the final whistle had blown, and after gaffer Gary Castledine had finished his after match team talk on the pitch.

dmission - £3
Attendance - 81
Programme - £1

Wednesday -- Nottm Forest Ladies v Clifton All Whites Ladies ( Notts F.A. Womens Senior Cup Final).

No comments: