Wednesday, 20 May 2009

Wednesday 20th May 2009

Nottm Forest Ladies 9-0 Clifton All Whites Ladies and Girls - Notts F.A. Women's County Cup Final

How refreshing! No abuse, no spitting ( well, not much) no tantrums - and a shedload of goals to boot........

Not been to a women's game for years and years, but this encounter certainly made us think that maybe next season we should try and get a couple of the Forest Ladies home games in....we'll see.

Decent crowd in at Watnall Road, maybe 200 - but the majority were female -- not been in so much female company for a long, long time. Made my glasses steam up a few times, let me tell you!

The first 10 miuntes or so were fairly awful, but there must have been a few nerves out there. Forest took the lead on 11, a simple near post corner met well six yards from goal by the Reds no. 3 Beth Bailey. Annabel McKechnie added Forest's second four minutes later. After a great run into the box by Lyndsey Cunningham, her shot cannoned off the foot of the post and McKechnie was on hand to tap home from close range. Blatantly off-side when the ball came back to her, but neither the Referee nor his Assistant seemed to know the offside rule!

On 19, it was 3-0. This time Levi Penny looked offside when she received the ball, but she ran on and fired past Clifton keeper Collette Wong. Wong made a complete mess of a clearance on 41 - completely missing the ball as she ran from goal to clear a Forest attack. The error left an empty net for Catherine Stainthorpe, and she took full advantage.

Another Forest attack just before the half-time whistle saw Andi Bell receive the ball 25 yards from goal. She ran into the area and put the ball to one side of the keeper and ran the other side before firing home. H-T 5-0

Forest keeper Claire Wallhead only touched the ball twice in the first period - indeed her first touch was not until the 30th minute! She was a bit more active as the second half began and Clifton had decided to make a game of it.

After weathering the early Clifton storm, the Reds made it clear fought back and made it clear that they were not going to settle for 5-0 and went further ahead on 56. A trip by the Clifton no.8 on the Forest no. 14 saw Referee Lee Chappell award a spot kick that Levi Penny fired home with consumate ease.

Clifton to their credit kept going, and held out until the 81st minute when Leanne Woodford beat the offside trap and cooly lobbed the ball over Wong.
90 seconds later Andi Bell was unselfishly played in by Penny and again Wong found herself looking over her head as the ball was lobbed into the net.

This lead to the quip of the night -- 8-0 down and Clifton's no. 9 called out "come on Whites, 6 minutes left to score 9 goals!!!!"

As it transpired, it was Forest no. 14 who rounded off the scoring in stoppage time - a fierce drive that Wong got a hand to, but couldn't keep out. F-T 9-0

Admission + team sheet £2

Attendance - guess at 200?

Final game of the season on Saturday - game no. 100 !!!! Carlton Town Reserves looking for trophy no. 4 of the season, having already won their CML Supreme Reserve division title, the League Cup and the Notts F.A. Intermediate Cup. Opponents Yorkshire Main ressies won the CML Premier Reserve Division title, so this ought to be a good game to end the season.

No comments: